Sunday, August 15, 2010

Haiti Day One: Airports and Bad Investments

So I'm on my way to Port-Au-Prince!!

Just touched down in Miami and have a few hours to kill
waiting for my flight out of this country.


Enter the bad investment

I actually just paid $5 for a half hour of internet access.
The shame is overwhelming.

If I paid that much for a straight month, it would cost almost $7500.
Side Note: I'm slow at this and totally failed to get this finished in a half hour.
I am now writing from the camp.


I'm so excited about this new journey in my life, I have spent a little bit of time reading up and getting myself prepared for what I will face when I get down there. The problem is that I have no grid to really prepare for the type of destruction that I'm going to see.

I will be helping facilitate a camp that houses 55K people on what used to be a 9 hole golf course. I don't really know how that is even possible.

I think that one of the most exciting elements of this is the unknown. People have asked what I will be doing and the answer that I give is that I've been told I will be an Information Officer but that I have no idea what that means in the way of day to day responsibilities. I don't know who I will be sharing a tent with. I don't know what I will eat. I don't know creole. I don't know what the hours will be like.

And I'm really excited about all of that.
Some kind of extreme blank slate experience.

I hope to keep this updated while I'm down there and provide clarification, but we will see as I am presently unsure about the hour situation....





1 comment:

Milano Party of 7 said...

We will be waiting anxiously for updates of what God is doing through you!
If you ever get bored, here's a blog one of my closest friends is starting about a journey God is taking him on. A journey of silence and only to listen....30 days at a time. God has you both on big adventures and I can't wait to see what HE does!!!

http://ajourneyinsilence.wordpress.com/